Tuesday, August 16, 2011
A Few RSF Baking Tips
I wanted to jot down some of the things I've leaned over the last seven months baking without refined sugar.
1. ALWAYS taste your batter! If it doesn't taste sweet enough add some additional sweetner, the final product will actually always be less sweet than the batter. This step can help save you from throwing away a ton of money in a flop.
2. Lower fat foods don't need to be cooked as long. When using a "vegan" recipe or applesauce instead of oil, cook until the toothpick comes out mostly clean. Overcook this type of recipe and you end up with a hockey puck.
3. If you find a "vegan" recipe (often RSF too) too dense, just add an egg or two the next time you make it. It will lighten your treat.
4. Cinnamon makes things taste sweeter. Add it too cookies, pies, cakes and muffins to enhance the sweetner.
5. Mixing sweeteners will help avoid a strong taste. For example, if a recipe call for 1 cup sugar, you could substitute with 1/3 cup coconut sugar, 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup maple syrup. This way you just taste sweet, not honey etc. Play with the recipes to what combo you like and then you can make a lot of your favorite recipes.
6. If in doubt add some grain-sweetened chocolate chips. They make anything taste better.
Don't give up, keep baking and email or message one of us if you have a recipe success. We would love to feature you on our blog. Thanks for reading. Pumpkin pie/everything season is almost here...happy baking!